Winter's here and that means it's officially cashmere season. We love cashmere. It's super soft, warm and cosy, and lasts longer with some love, care and tlc. Here are our top tips to care for your cashmere.
Hand Wash or Dry Clean
- Hand washing is the gentlest method. Use a mild detergent or even a baby shampoo for best results.
- Hot water can lead to cashmere losing it's shape and softness, always use cold water to prevent shrinking and damage to the fibres.
- Avoid wringing or twisting the fabric as this can distort its shape.
- If you'd rather leave it to the professionals, find a dry cleaner who's experienced with cashmere.
- Lay your cashmere flat on a clean, dry towel and reshape it to its original dimensions.
- Avoid hanging cashmere items, as they can stretch out of shape and keep away from direct heat and sunlight, which can cause fading and damage the fibres.
- Keep all cashmere items folded, ideally in a breathable storage bag or a pillowcase.
Pilling and Catches
- Pilling is natural for cashmere due to friction so use a cashmere comb or a fabric shaver to remove pills gently.
- Jewellery, sharp objects and rough edges can be a nightmare with cashmere so take care not to snag your favourite items.
By following these tips, you can ensure your cashmere items remain soft, luxurious, and in excellent condition for years to come.